Songkran Festival, Songkran Day, Thai Water Festival or Songkran, Thailand’s signature festival has many names. It is a special time when Thai summer turns cool and fighting becomes a friendly act.
While many travelers know that Songkran Day is also the traditional Thai New Year, water fight has become synonymous with the festival. Many travelers have enjoyed the Thai Water Festival aspect, but few have experienced the traditional beauty of Thai New Year. Crazy or calm, your Songkran Day can go either way depending on where you go.
WHEN IS SONGKRAN 2021?
Songkran 2021 Dates: 13 - 15 April 2021.
Songkran started off as a religious ritual in the 13th century to wash away the sins of the prior year, and now it has escalated into the world’s largest water fight. During the festival, the whole country will get wet & wild.
If you want to fully enjoy Songkran festival in Bangkok, make sure you read on!
SONGKRAN FESTIVAL IN THAILAND OVERVIEW:
✔️ Where: Almost all provinces of Thailand
✔️ When: April 13th to 15th every year
✔️ What to do during Songkran Festival in Bangkok 2021???
- Water fight: No matter how hard you try to avoid it, you will get soaked!
- Merit-making: Visit temples and experience traditional Buddhism Songkran rituals. (e.g. To carry sand to temples and form sand pagodas, watch bathing rites of Buddha images)
WHAT TO PREPARE FOR SONGKRAN IN BANGKOK:
What to Bring:
KEEP IN MIND:
- Water pistols and Super Soakers (They will be on sale everywhere.)
- Extra clothing to change (Many street vendors for clothes will be closed.)
- Waterproof case for your phone, camera, and bag.
- Sunglasses (Not too expensive one, as there are some risks that it will be ruined.)
- Cold medicine (You might catch a cold as you will be wet all day & night.)
HOW TO ENJOY SONGKRAN FESTIVAL 2021 IN BANGKOK
- Learn the phrase “Sawadee Pee Mai!” which means a happy new year in Thai.
- There’s no way to avoid getting wet. Just accept it and have fun.
- However, if you want to stay dry, stay inside.
- You might get daubed in a grey-white lime paste. It stings if it gets in your eyes, so be sure to wear sunglasses!
- Monks are highly respected in Thailand, do now throw water at them.
- Keep your luggage safe from getting wet
GET ON A TUK-TUK FOR THE ULTIMATE WATER FIGHT / BATTLE SONGKRAN 2021 IN BANGKOK.
- Go to the best spots for water flight in Bangkok.
- Khao San Road: This historical center of the tourist area is turned into a water battleground during Songkran. Not only travelers but also locals gather here.
- Silom: The most popular Songkran spot for Thais. The highlight is to spot red fire trucks with powerful water hoses.
- Siam Square: There are always various events and EDM festival during Songkran which make you want to dance and water fight at the same time!
- RCA (Clubbing area): If you love partying, RCA is the place to go during Songkran at night! It offers the best experience combining clubbing and water fight.
It is a great way to sight-see around the city and get into a water battle at once. There is a possibility that you will be a sitting duck when the traffic is jammed. But that’s all part of the fun!
☞ Book a night tour with tuk-tuk and enjoy Bangkok’s nightlife too
GO TO THE NEXT LEVEL SONGKRAN PARTIES 2021 IN BANGKOK.
If the usual water fight gets old to you, head to these next-level Songkran parties such as Pool party in Bangkok.
☞ See more activities in Bangkok
WHAT TO DO AFTER SONGKRAN IN BANGKOK?
Songkran is undoubtedly the biggest festival in Thailand, and the whole country becomes a playground for water fights. But wouldn’t it be nice if you can explore more of Bangkok as well as the Songkran festival? There are plenty of attractions and sightseeing tours in here in Bangkok.
☞ SEE MORE ACTIVITIES IN BANGKOK HERE ☜
WHERE TO STAY IN BANGKOK FOR SONGKRAN 2021?
Bangkok's hotels are many and varied in terms of price and quality, and in Bangkok this polarization is amply modified. We advise you to book well in advance to secure a decent location. Check availability and book local hotels here